[Dixielandjazz] Jazz music 50s/60s

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 07:19:39 PDT 2005

There were quite a few clips of various Dixieland bands on TV in New York
City during these years. Mostly local programming as I recall.

Conrad Janis' band, Pee Wee Irwin, and others had 15 minute spots. But the
one I remember most vividly was The Southampton Dixie Racing and Clambake
Society Jazz Band. I was the clarinetist in the band at the time, preceding
Joe Ashworth who replaced me when I moved away from NYC. Don't remember the
exact date, (1959 or so) but Bill Barnes might because he was in the Army at
the time and a replacement was on cornet.

NBC TV, NYC. Theme was Jazz Bands made of of people who either had day jobs
or were University Students. I was in Law School then)  15 minute segment.

SDRCS Band on TV:
Connie Worden - Banjo; Barbara Dreiwitz - Sousaphone; Stan Levine - Drums;
Skip Strong - Trombone; Steve Barbone - Clarinet; Teddy Prochazka - Piano;

Don't remember name of cornet player that day, or if Bill Donahoe was there
on washboard. Barbara was 6 months pregnant and playing great brass bass.

Cheers,
Steve