[Dixielandjazz] Jazz on Star Trek-The Next Generation

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 14:21:22 PDT 2005

It can't be all that bad, Bill.

There was the episode where the Jack Sheldon was in the holodeck band and after hearing Riker play the trombone, Sheldon told him to keep his day job .

Dave "Keep your day job" Livingston

Bill Gunter <jazzboard at hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I just finished watching a rerun of "Star Trek - The Next Generation"
featuring the captain, a bald headed older guy with an English accent and
the improbable French name of Jean Luc Picard.

Perhaps you remember the series. Picard's first officer was dashing
Commander Will Riker who, to make this relevant to the DJML, liked to play
jazz on the trombone.

Well . . .

In this one scene, Riker is in the holodeck - for you non-trekkies, the
holodeck is a space where a computer can set up a realistic three
dimensional scene within which the individual (in this case, Will Riker) can
interact with the scenery and other characters generated by the computer.

So there is Riker in the holodeck and he programs the computer to generate a
new orleans jazz joint circa 1950 complete with a three piece jazz combo
(pianist, drummer and bass player) and a trombone just sitting on top of the
piano. The object is that Riker will pick up the trombone and sit it with
the combo which he does.

But before he plays he has the computer generate an audience for his
audition and he has the computer generate a sexy brunette sitting at the bar
who oogles Riker up and down with "come hither" glances.

Riker casually strolls over to this computer generated lady at the bar and
the following conversation ensues:

RIKER: Hi there. I'm Will, what's your name?

BAR LADY: Trixie

RIKER: Well, Trixie, do you like jazz?

BAR LADY: I like all kinds of jazz except dixieland.

RIKER: Why don't you like dixieland?

BAR LADY: Because you can't dance to it.

BILL GUNTER: (aiming remote) Click!

Excuse me . . .

By my reckoning the most danceable music there is may be found in a solid
two beat dixieland performance.

And here I thought that Star Trek bore some relationship to reality. Silly
me!

~snip~

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Trekkie" Gunter