[Dixielandjazz] Where was the jazz?

eighthst7 at aol.com eighthst7 at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 17:35:00 PDT 2005

I have made 3 trips to N.O. in the past 6 yrs, and I never had any trouble
finding a group to jam with. But I did have to make my desire to play known in
most cases.   I was asked to join groups who noticed my Sop. Sax case.  While
there is not as much OKOM as we would like, there is more now than in past
years.  Pres. Hall, Palm Court, Natchez River boat, Fritzel's the Louis Armstrong
show in the Bienville Hotel,  Court of two sisters, Daily jams in Jackson
Square, Donna's and many other non-regularly scheduled events.  There are a couple
of Publications which give events each week.  There is also a lot of street
musicians and street entertainers to keep almost any one entertained.   I wish
there was more, but N.O.has not been entirely devoid of OKOM.  If you go in
August, you will find that not much is cooking as the musicians are largely out
of town touring.  They leave because of the heat.  That is the way it was, but
what the future will bring is UNKNOWN.  WE CAN ONLY HOPE AND PRAY.
Richard Redmond, Palm
Springs.