[Dixielandjazz] innocent!

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 17:05:04 PDT 2005

Yes Bob, I was quite naive.I had even packed my cornet along on the long
drive from Maine to N.O. as I was sure there would be good natured jazz
musicians jamming in the African-American areas of the city, and they would  welcome
me with open arms!  NOT!  I was not prepared for the reality  that was New
Orleans. It was a big disappointment and a major wake-up for  me.

I had a friend who played excellent banjo. being single, he left for N.O.  to
play jazz. Returned a year later, and said he had to join the musicians
union-but they never sent him out on a gig as he was too new in town.  He
supported himself for a year pumping gas-

This was around 25 years ago. have things changed?

            ted