[Dixielandjazz] Cryogenic treatments for cornets/trumpets

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 07:31:41 PDT 2005

Some of you cornet players brought this subject up...deep-freezing your horn to improve it's playing...
This is off the TPIN...
Don't do it...it seems!
Bob Romans

Subject: Re: [TPIN] Cryo Treatment - A paper from the Acoustical
Society of America
To: tpin at tpin.okcu.edu

There was a meeting at Melville, New York, October 26, 2003 where the
following paper was presented :
http://www.acoustics.org/press/146th/jones.htm
This is its final conclusion : "However as far as we can tell, the
difference from trumpet to trumpet, player to player, and session to
session far overshadow any difference brought on by cryogenic treatment."

Joel

Nicholas Drozdoff a icrit :

> The best treatise I have seen on cryo-treatment for trumpets was
> written by Dr. Thomas Moore, the science editor of the International
> Trumpet Guild Journal. He points out that, while the idea itself is
> OK, it really only works on ferrous metals. It doesn't work on brass.
> However, it DOES work on the SOLDER. Moore attiributes the efficacy to
> the cryo treatment to this. I have hired him as a speaker for physics
> a physics teachers convention and, after meeting him, hanging out for
> a day and hearing him speak, I am inclined to accept his explantion.
>
> Mike Anderson my have a better handle on how to search for the
> article, but any of you can dig it up and read it.
>
> For my part, I have noticed a sublte efficacy on the use of the
> treatment, but always subtle. Upon hearing of the brass vs. solder
> thing, it made sense. The horns that this seemed to work the best on
> were farily massive with thick solder joints. FWIIW, however, I DID
> like the way they played better after the treatment.
>
> Also, a couple of studies have been done, including the great freeze
> off sponsored by TPIN. I was one of the testers for that. I beleive
> the results were fairly inconlusive, though a heavy Blackburn that was
> part of the test played noticably better to me after it was frozen in
> the double blind test. It was quite striking.
>
> Personally, I think the location of the braces and how they are
> mounted has a real big impact. That is what the manufactuer attribtes
> his succes to on the horns I am using now.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth. Lookup the article.
>
> OK, let the new fusilade of cryo posts fly!
>
> Peace, all!
>
> Nick Drozdoff
> http://www.mp3unsigned.com/NickDrozdoff.ASP
> NYTC Stage 1 Califronia Model Trumpet