[Dixielandjazz] Hindustan

Dave Washburn tootn4u at juno.com
Sun Sep 25 07:40:50 PDT 2005

Pete Fountain did Hindustan on an album with the New Orleans Allstars. I am guessing early sixties.
Dave in Dallas

Hi All. I've checked my CD catalogs and Rust's JR, and can't determine
when
or how. "Hindustan" came into the Dixieland repertoire, let alone why
it
became a standard. Rust lists only 1 1920's record, by Ben Bernie in 1928
(It's on the Jack Pettis CD). In the 30s, the Bob Crosby Orchestra.

It was recorded a couple of times each by Condon and Wilber De Paris in the
50s. Were those records generally influential?

This is an interesting aspect (IMO) of the history of our music. We can
often pinpoint possible influences--eg Armstrong and Noone for "When
you're
smiling" and many other pop tunes, Goodman's Trio and Quartet, etc. I
suppose some tunes came in due to frequent performance in the NY clubs
during the 40s and 50s...

--Sheik