[Dixielandjazz] FW: Need help with identifcation of private recording with Hoagy Carmichael

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 24 21:47:50 PDT 2005

Dear friends,
I am forwarding this to the DJML (from another list) in the hope that
someone can help.
I do not have Mr Sudhalter's 'Hoagy' book either - yet.
A very interesting post.
Kind regards,
Bill.

>From Linda.

I have a private recording made in 1927 where Jean
Goldkette is mentioned by name by one of his musicians!
I think the recording was possibly made in Nov. or Dec. 1927.
The record is a Christmas message from  Ray "Pink" Porter ( who was playing
in Goldkette's band at that time) to his family who he can't be
with for Christmas because Jean Goldkette wants him on the job in
Kansas City.It starts out with 2 Goldkette musicians, Pink Porter and
Harold Stokes singing Jingle Bells with Hoagy Carmichael on piano and
possibly singing too!
Then Porter talks to his family on the record.Porter even asks Hoagy
to say "Hi" which he does.He also asks Stokes to say hi.Porter
mentions Hoagy as an incomprable pianist or something like that.

This has to be the rarest Hoagy Carmichael recording of him playing
piano.Or even any record he is on. My question is i don't have the
Sudhalter book on Hoagy. Can anyone who does tell me if this
recording is mentioned in the text of the book or the discography in
the book. I want to know if this recording is known and documented
somewhere in Sudhalters book on Hoagy Carmichael which i don't have.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/iuUuID/dnQLAA/n1hLAA/IyJolB/TM