[Dixielandjazz] Ambassador Satch

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 24 20:37:42 PDT 2005

Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
> Especially Pop's and the Hot 5, Hot 7. Heck they never even played live  so
> as good as we think they are, those 2 bands would have blown the doors  down
> in live performances. (IMO). Proof? Compare "Ambassador Satch" with  "Hot 7".
> No, no, not that thread again. Heck, why not? The list is 50%  different
> since we last discussed it. :-)  VBG.

To which Mike Vax asked
> OK - I don't remember the previous discussions.  Are you saying the
> "Ambassador Satch" wouldn't hold up to the older recordings?  Boy, would I
> disagree with that!
> "Ambassador Satch" would be in my top ten favorite  list of albums for sure.

Hell no Mike, keep the faith. I'm saying that Ambassador Satch is a "live,
in concert" recording of Louis that out swings/plays just about anything he
did in studio. I totally agree with you that it is a top ten album. Pops and
the band swing their asses off on that album. The energy is unbelievable.

I meant to use Ambassador Satch as an example of a "live" record that out
swings/plays anything he did in studio at the time.

What I meant to infer was that had we heard Hot 5/7 in a live set up, or had
we a live 5/7 recording in front of an audience, we would relegate those 5/7
studio cuts to the closet.

That is not to say the 5/7 cuts are worthless. They were the best of what
was available and seminal in articulation of the language of jazz. So please
folks, hold those cards and letters of dismay.

Cheers,
Steve