[Dixielandjazz] Re: sounds of the twenties

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 23 18:31:30 PDT 2005

Dear Hal,
What's a high hat?
Just kidding.
There isn't one in any of the photographs I have of my idol, Ray Bauduc.
Nor can I recall any on the recordings he is on, and I have most of them,
except the mid 20s Candullo records.
You are probably right. He never used one.
Neither have I.
Unnecessary things! (OK! Jo Jones is an exception.)
However, the high hat (popular from the 1930s on) goes back further to about
1926-27 with low-sock and low-boy cymbals appearing in drum catalogues at
the time. These were similar to the dreaded high hat, but only about 12
inches (300 mm) or so high and played with the foot only.
It was eventually heightened so that sticks could also be used with it.
Something in the back of my memory tells me that Chick Webb has been
credited with inventing the low-sock.
Kind regards,
Bill.