[Dixielandjazz] sounds of the twenties

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 16:19:39 PDT 2005

Actually, we don't know WHAT rhese 20's and 30's jazz groups really sounded
like, so how can we judge them?

Firstly, the drums couldn't be recorded, except cymbals, until Western
Electric invented a sophisticated recording system during the late thirties.
Muggsy Spanier's group made a splendid series of recordings using this system in
38. Prior to that many systems consisted of just a horn into which everyone
played, while the engineers hassled with the egos of the guys who wanted to out
play everyone else .(Sidney you-know-who comes to mind)

Then there were the scratches, which magically appeared almost as soon as
you played the recording a few times. This old phonos were not hi fi, many were
wind up, using crude steel needles. I know. I bought a bunch of them.

Then there were the horns which often were far from top line instruments.
many were promptly placed in hock shops during slack times when musicians had to
 raise chickens (Kid Ory) for a living or maybe veggies (Bunk) Modern
precision  manufacturing wasn't around then. Drum heads were REALLY calfskin, and
sagged  badly if it was humid.

I am sure these old recordings sounded a lot better in the studio than they
did to those  who bought the new records, or we who play them nearly a
century later. Tinny? Yes. Scratchy? Yes. Comical? often. Chairs could be  clearly
be heard scraping, probably as the guys reached for the gin bottle  during
sessions.

But I love to hear these early jazz tunes re-created by modern groups  using
original instrumentation. I get up off the couch and do the second  line
strut, with my wife's umbrella, at least until she yells from the kitchen,  "Knock
it off!!"

        Hee Hee!   tradjazz