[Dixielandjazz] Smokey Stover

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Sep 21 12:48:35 PDT 2005

Phil O'Rourke wrote:

>John
>
>These are the details that I have. My mind is rusty and my house is having
>renovations so a lot of things are in storage. I am sure I have more of him,
>with Western swing pehaps, guys like Bob Wills but I am not sure,
>I hop it is a help.
>
>Phil O'Rourke
>Australia
>
>Smokey Stover
>Ted Vesely
>Ralph Harden (tp) Ted Vesely (tb) Bill Wood (cl) Lee Countryman (p) Morty
>Corb (b) Smokey Stover (d)
>unknown date
>T-102-2    I've found a new baby    Tom Tom 1002
>T-103-3    What's your story ?           -
>
>Dixieland Jubilee
>Firehouse Five Plus Two , : Danny Alguire (cnt) Ward Kimball (tb) Clarke
>Mallory (cl) Frank Thomas (p) Ralph Goff (bj) Erdman Penner (tu) John
>Mountjoy (d) + Muggsy Spanier, Red Nichols, Mannie Klein (tp) Brad Gowans,
>Irving Verret, King Jackson, Lou McGarity (tb) Matty Matlock, Albert
>Nicholas (cl) Bud Freeman, Eddie Miller (ts) Joe Rushton (bar) Marvin Ash,
>Bobby Hammack, Stan Wrightsman (p) Artie Shapiro (b) Rollie Culver, Smokey
>Stover, Zutty Singleton (d)
>80039    Muskrat ramble    De 9-11066, DL7022
>80040    South Rampart Street parade      -         -
>
>Meade Lux Lewis
>Meade Lux Lewis (p) Smokey Stover (d)
>Broadcast "Club Hangover", San Francisco, April 11, 1953
>    Glendale glide    Storyville (Dan)SLP273, SLP4006
>
>Meade Lux Lewis
>Broadcast "Club Hangover", San Francisco
>DC12013    'Deed I do    Story of Blues CD3506-2 [CD]
>
>Meade Lux Lewis
>Broadcast "Club Hangover", San Francisco, CA, May 16, 1953
>DC12013    Rockin' the clock    Story of Blues CD3506-2 [CD]
>
>Joe Sullivan
>New solos by an old master: Joe Sullivan Trio:
>Joe Sullivan (p) Dave Lario (b) Smokey Stover (d)
>San Francisco, CA, August, 1953
>    Gin mill blues    Riv RLP12-202
>    That's a plenty       -
>    A room with a view       -
>
> Lee Collins
>Lee Collins/Ralph Sutton's Jazzola Six Vol 1:
>Lee Collins (tp) Burt Johnson (tb) Pud Brown (cl,sop,ts) Ralph Sutton (p)
>Dale Jones (b) Smokey Stover (d)
>"Hangover Club", San Francisco, August 1, 1953
>    Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans ?    Rarities RA31
>    Panama            -
>    After you've gone            -
>    West End blues            -
>    Indiana            -
>
>Lee Collins
>"Hangover Club", San Francisco, August 8, 1953
>    Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans ?    Rarities RA31
>    Down in jungle town            -
>    St. James infirmary            -
>    Johnson rag            -
>    On the sunny side of the street            -
>    Hindustan            -
>Note: Above 2 sessions also on Jazz Connoisseur JCC106 [Cass.] titled
> [...]
The Smokey Stover, drummer, you listed is not the same as the trumpet
player who led a band under that name. The drummer was in the house band
at the old club 47 in Studio City inthe 40'-50's, let whent to San
Francisco to work at the old Hanover there.At times he worked as
drummer, at times as a bartender. He was a fine drummer, but he had that
handle prior to the emergence of Smokey Stover of the trumpet/band name.
Smoket the drummer was later reported to have been murdered - this was a
hearsay bit of information that I got ftom another who knew him but I
cannot confirm this.
Both ofthese men were good players and good guys in their own right.
Because of their last name, it was almost a given that they would get
the handle of SMokey because of the loing time popular comic strip.
(Remember the sign on the wall -- NOTORY SOJAK?)
I hope this helps straigten out  the confusion of names.
Don Ingle