[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans and the Jazz Museum

JimSox at aol.com JimSox at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 09:20:44 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/21/05 7:13:34 AM, loerchen2 at aol.com writes:

> However, actual damage to the collection is minimal.  Only a small part of
> one storage area was damaged, and most of that material can be salvaged.
>
> The exhibit was untouched, as was the majority of the storage.  Bix's piano
> and Louis' horn are still intact.

Excellent news!   I was very worried.   My late friend George Finola was
acting director of the Jazz Museum many years ago (when it was on Dumaine St. if I
remember correctly), working there with Danny Barker among others.   The
collection now includes some pictures of George, one playing cornet along with
Johnny Wiggs, and another playing with Raymond Burke and others at Southland
Hall, the short-lived kitty hall that George started.   I was also very fond of
the note that Hoagy Carmichael sent along with Bix's hankerchief and cuff links,
displayed next to Bix's piano and horn.

All in all, very pleased to hear that all that great stuff survived.

Jim Branson
Berkeley, Calif.