[Dixielandjazz] FW: Smokey Stover

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 21 00:28:28 PDT 2005

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Stover <johnstover at mac.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:44:31 -0400
To: bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au, charliehooks at earthlink.net, JimDBB at aol.com
Subject: Smokey Stover

Dear Sirs,
I saw some emails on the Dixieland Jazz mailing list that indicated
you knew, or had information about, Harold "Smokey" Stover, the
drummer who died in 1974.  He was my father and I know almost nothing
about him.  Anything you could tell me would be very welcome.
Thanks,
John Stover
------ End of Forwarded Message

Dear friends,
This was sent to me today.
Obviously as a result of our earlier thread about Smokey Stover back in July
2002.
I replied to John and suggested that I post his requet to the DJML.
He agreed and added the following:
"Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I would really like to hear
anything you know about him, and would appreciate it if you would
post my request to the list.  Are there records or CD's of his
performances that I could buy?  (I'm completely unmusical but have a
huge record collection and would get a kick out of hearing him play.)
I was pretty stunned to see that he had been murdered in 1974.
John."

I intend sending John what I have in my files plus what was posted on the
DJML (if I can find it or it hasn't disappeared).
Maybe we can reactivate the thread, on list, for John Stover's benefit and,
perhaps, add to the information already mentioned.
Very kind regards,
Bill.