[Dixielandjazz] Creating and Recreating

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 11:03:00 PDT 2005

Mike;

When you speak of recreating recordings, solos, etc., I fully agree with
you. That is not jazz! They may be a great learning tools and study guides
but that's the extent of it.

On the other hand, if we're speaking about a musician swinging and creating
in within the framework of the 1920's (for example), then that is certainly
jazz. It's boils down to an issue of substance and style. Just because
someone is using another form of playing doesn't automatically signify that
jazz has flown out of the window. If the substance is what we consider jazz
to be, i.e., innovative and swinging, then style or form doesn't matter.

Stan
Stan Brager