[Dixielandjazz] PBS HURRICANE RELIEF CONCERT

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 00:20:12 PDT 2005

Rebecca Thompson wrote:

> Gee, Steve... I suggest you attend more festivals......  Jim and I were not
> impressed with  Marsalis and his 8 piece band... In fact, it was a pitiful
> attempt.  Winton started off with his mute and after a few bars, took it
> out.  They all looked lost and unsure of what they were supposed to be
> playing.  "Oh play that thing" was very feeble and the rest of the band
> almost played right over it.  It DIDN'T swing.

I certainly agree that you have every right to hear what you hear. However
respectfully disagree with what you hear as "it DIDN'T swing. I'll not doubt
get blasted for this, but the reason I do not attend more OKOM festivals is
that most of the bands that play at them, neither swing nor know how to
improvise coherently. They do copy, albeit poorly and without the fire of
the originals.

> Listen to Titan Hot 6's version of Dippermouth... Or better yet, listen to
> King Oliver.

Titan is an exceptional band that swings. Listen to King Oliver? Heck, I've
listened to King Oliver all that I care to. At this point in my life, King
Oliver is boring. (No, I do not expect everybody to understand that. If
anyone is interested, write me off list and I'll send a dissertation on just
why, at this point in my life K.O. bores me.)

Nobody is going to do King Oliver better than King Oliver did. Yet folks
still try to COPY note for note. Kudos to the Marsalis Group which did not
do that. In my ears, they played their own take on the song. And they did it
well. Thank the powers that be, that they did not present a poor attempt to
copy K.O. And to my aged jazz musician's ears, they swung their collective
asses off. No doubt barely rehearsed, maybe not at all, but then that's
jazz.

> Yep, Diana Krall was the nearest to OKOM that was presented.

Depends upon who speaks for "OKOM". Even if that were accurate, so what? New
Orleans music is Jazz in its broadest sense, Blues, Rock & Roll, Gospel and
other musical genres. OKOM and its fan base are a miniscule segment so why
should OKOM take center stage?

> Where was Preservation Hall Band?  Where were the musicians from New
> Orleans?  Duke Heitger, Connie Jones, Jacque Gauthe, Evan Christopher, Banu
> Gibson, David Boudinhause, Tim Laughlin, Dukes of Dixieland ?....and you get
> my drift.

Yes, of course, but then why should the millions that watched the show care
much about the above? Except for Preservation Hall, the rest are relatively
unknown in the US of A.

> The night turned way too political for an occasion seeking relief for the
> displaced New Orleans musicians.  One wonders if any of the money would find
> its way to any musician that is not black.

They were not seeking money or relief for musicians, but for 500,000 people,
or more who were displaced by the hurricane. And not only residents of New
Orleans, but of the entire Gulf Coast area which was affected. Most of the
displaced people are Black. Why the hell should any of us wonder that most
of the money will go to Blacks? Is that a reason for us white folks not to
help out? And of course, the agencies touted were Red Cross, Salvation Army
et al and they are usually color blind.

> The music presented last night was not what we go to New Orleans to hear on
> a regular basis.   I only hope all our friends who know we attend jazz
> festivals don't think it is for TKOM.  (THAT kind of music).

Ha ha. Why on earth should your friends be offended that you might like
TKOM? And why should one care about what one's friends might think of a
personal like or dislike? Sounds a bit like either elitism or insecurity.

Let's face it. What you or I or the "We" on this list go to see and hear in
New Orleans has precious little to do with the overall "Hurricane Relief"
effort. It is not about us, or OKOM. It is about New Orleans which is rich
in history and culture, IN ADDITION TO our narrow little OKOM. It is about
the Gulf Coast Devastation, and unparalleled disaster in American History.
It is about living breathing people who suffered great losses. It is about
the generosity of those of us who gave because of that program.

And it is about "That Kind Of Music". New Orleans may have had 100 OKOM
musicians there, but that leaves somewhere between 3000 and 4900 who played
TKOM there. (Source AP & NY Times) The other name by which that music goes
is "New Orleans Music" and it's huge.

Cheers,
Steve