[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt - Memories Of You URL

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Sun Sep 18 11:19:53 PDT 2005

It was at a Clearwater, Florida jazz festival that Don Goldie and his
band (Ernie Goodson, clt; Hank Bredenberg, tbn; Jack Keller, pno; Mark
Trail, bss; and Red Hawley, drms) were playing the first set of the day
at about 9:00 AM.

Now Don Goldie was a powerhouse trumpet player despite his diminutive
stature, and he was both a master of technique and dynamics. Not that he
was a ghigh note screamer  -  he was tasty enough to have worked quite a
while with Jack Teagarden and to follow Bobby Hackett in making Jackie
Gleason's gorgeous romance song albums. He was a whale of a player - and
had an ego of gigantic proportions to match.

The band was into its second number, something up and hot to get the
juices flowing,  and Goldie was crafting a very workmanlike solo when Al
"Jumbo" Hirt walked in. All of a sudden, Don couldn't find a right note
with both hands and a steamshovel.  I never saw Don Goldie intimidated
in the slightest by amy other trumpet man, but Al, who was just sitting
in the audience and listening, sure mnanaged that improbable feat!

Kindly,

Will Connelly