FW: [Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt - Memories Of You URL

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Sep 18 08:54:14 PDT 2005

Bob wrote:
NO trumpet player, IMHO as a trumpet player, ever played like Al Hirt!

I always thought that his horn was just too small for him.  He seemed to
dominate it both musically & in physical size!  Like nothing whatsoever that
he wished to do on the horn would be hindered by anything other than the
very limitations of the horn itself!

I guess you have to be a horn player to really appreciate what I
mean....when the limitations of what come out of your horn are usually your
own limitations.  The horn normally is able for more than you can give it.
I don't believe that was the case with Al Hirt.

Jim