[Dixielandjazz] What the audience thinks of 10 year old Jonathan Russell

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 20:28:31 PDT 2005

Below is a typical reaction (except perhaps for the tears) from the "general
audience" about young Jonathan Russell. Sent via email from a sponsor of The
Laurels Combined Driving Event last weekend. (Horse and Carriage competition
in beautiful Chester County PA, USA) We played there Saturday and Sunday
with the kid. We got cards, letters and verbal thanks from lots of people
who were astounded by us old folks and kid.

We "ear" taught "J" three new (for him) tunes including "I Found A New
Baby". What great ears. He had it after the in chorus, but front line horns
soloed first so he could hear three more chorus'. Then he took his solo and
improvised a beauty. . . correctly over the changes. Oh my!!!!

The "Patron's Tent", referred to below is $75 admission per day and was
jammed with the rich and anonymous horse enthusiasts who live around here.
Band gets free gourmet lunch and refreshments there in addition to being
paid a reasonable amount (handsome by California standards) to play jazz
while watching the competitors negotiate the water hazard, which was between
us and the Patron's Tent. Ah, the good life.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
Barbone Street Jazz Band
http://www.barbonestreet.com

"I just want to let you know that I enjoyed your music a great deal during
the show this past weekend.  Your music was very well heard and enjoyed by
the crowd up in the Patron's tent. And the playing of the young man on the
violin--his casual manner and expertise--with no music--moved me to tears
more than once. Thank you."
Bob Mischka