[Dixielandjazz] Katrina efforts

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 11 19:43:41 PDT 2005

There's been an upswing in jazz appearances in this part
of the "Rockbound Coast of Maine." due to Katrina.

Our band "The Maine Street Paraders will have done
4 Katrina (not just "Big Easy" musicians) benefits by the 1st of Oct.
These are being done with notable assistance from the Moose Mt.
Jazz Band from NH (Led by Lance MacClean - once of the
"The Frogs".)

Two other jazzbands from Maine are also contributing -
the Bellamy Jazz Band (on Sept 22 - I forget the details due to
a bad case of CRS.) and the Royal River Philharmonic JB (yesterday - see below.)
In addition Carl Bradford has pointed out his appearance this last week at a
Kennebunkport fund raiser with some "dudes" from Mass.

1. Yesterday - played outside Bintliff's restaurant in Portland ME
to help them raise money going to a Baton Rouge restaurant which
tho losing 4 of their own restaurants is still feeding 6000 local
3 meals a day. We played on the sidewalk outside for 4 hours and
Our band was extended with the tuba player (Eric Anderson) from the Royal River
Philharmonic Jazz Band,  3 guys (Lance MacClean on banjo,
Doug Cady -piano and Bob Modr - cornet
from Lance's "Moose Mt. Jazz Band" from NH.
Listmate Al Brogdon of the New Liberty Jazz Band of western
Mass. joined us on his several bass horns and cornet.
We had a great time.
---------------------------------
At 7 pm we were followed by the Royal River Philharmonic JB for
 another 3hrs (I "sub"ed for their cornet (Paul Monat) for the first hour
as he had to come late due to a gig in Cambridge MA.)  He and I then
did some 2 cornet stuff. Additional entertainment due to the fact that Paul's
previous gig was with a German band and he was still wearing lederhosen
and an alpine hat
To come:

2. The 23rd of this month at "Bourbon Street" in Portland ME
a 2 hour Trad Jazz concert to raise money for the Red Cross.
we will be extended with Peter Lord (sop & bari sax - Bellamy JB,
and Doug Cady (piano - Moose Mt. JB - Lance may also come.
Bill Thurston of the Bellamy JB will be on drums. Our usual
banjo player Peter Dunphy also leads "the Bellamy JB".
The place seats 700 and the tickets are $10
plus any additional donations. In addition, Shipyard Brewery
(Portland Maine) is contributing $1 for each bottle of their beer sold.
This is in conjunction with the main TV, radio stations and newspapers
in Portland who will be accepting additional donations.

3. Sept 28th playing for the cocktail hour at a catered $250
a plate  (CONTRIBUTED by the "White Barn Inn") + voluntary donations
 for the "Bush-Clinton" Katrina relief fund - "Bush 41" and Barbara will
be there along with the local Kennebunkport "high rollers". Before this
even gets off the ground they have promises for $40K in donations
for this event alone..

4. As part of the same "Bush Clinton Fund" effort - we're at the
Kennebunkport Inn, in "Dock Square" the central tourist area in
Kennebunkport for 3 hours Oct 1 starting at 1 pm. All the touristy
shops and restaurants in that "square" are contributing their intake for the
day to the Katrina fund.

These are benefits and the bands are contributing their services.
Regards,
Craig Johnson
The Maine Street Paraders.
http://www.Mainely-Jazz.com