[Dixielandjazz] Comment on garage band thread

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Sat Sep 10 14:36:03 PDT 2005

Here's an interesting comment on the union garage band thread that folk and
jazz singer Dick McCormack sent to me today. I will write himand encourage him
to cheer up.

 Gus Bloch

             There are fundamental philosophical assumptions at work here.
30 years ago I asked the manager of a Vermont ski area hotel, "Why do you keep
me performing here?   It's obvious you're not making any money on me."   He
answered that neither did they make money off the nice antiques or the artworks
on the walls.   "We make our money off the room rates, for which the guests
are entitled to a certain level of service which includes live music in the
bar."   It was a very comfortable deal for me as a performer.

These days management looks at the performer, at the register, at the
bar-room and does the arithmetic.   "Did we make money at the bar tonight from having
this guy play here?"   If not, off you go.

Of course another problem is the generally low value the public places on
live music, actually on music in general.   Listen?   Evaluate?   Appreciate?
Involve? Connect?   Enjoy?   At least band guys have each other to help them
through the night.   I do a lot of solo work lately and if I get one more request
("request"?   Did I say request?)   one more DEMAND for "Brown-eyed Girl" I'm
going to destroy the place like the Incredible Hulk, swinging my guitar like
a battle ax.

For many years I've hated that self-pitying army of sad-eyed, bored women
known as The Drummer's Girlfriend, those destroyers of perfectly good bands.
"October 29th?   Oh, I can't.   Deb says we're not spending enough time
together, and I promised to go with her to her girlfriend's halloween party."    "A
two week cruise gig to the Bahamas for good money and full use of the facilities
in February?   No I can't.   Deb's used up her vacation time till July and
she can't come and it wouldn't be fair for me to go alone. "

But these days I fugure GOOD FOR THE DRUMMER'S GIRLFRIEND.    They save these
guys from getting sucked into the nonsense of trying to live a life of music.

A disgruntled old picker.