[Dixielandjazz] Inspiring - Irving Mayfield on NPR

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Fri Sep 9 15:13:02 PDT 2005

27-year-old trumpeter Irving Mayfield is cultural ambassador for the city of
New Orleans. In today¹s interview with Ed Gordon on NPR, he eloquently
explained how the culture of the city, along with its jazz music, will help
rebuild the city. For a bit of inspiration during this dark hour, I
encourage anyone to visit the NPR website to hear the entire (but brief)
interview.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4838815

Here is an excerpt.

Mr. MAYFIELD:
³What I see for the rebuilding of New Orleans is, of course, the greatest of
greatest jazz funerals to honor those who have been sacrificed and have been
through so much through this experience in Hurricane Katrina. I see that
jazz funeral as being the first piece in healing really for our city and to
bring people together.

³The next vision that I have is for jazz to be used as a road map for
healing and a way for people to come together and focus on the greatness of
our city instead of, you know, whether it's black leadership or white
leadership...²