[Dixielandjazz] Composer please.....

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Sep 7 16:59:25 PDT 2005

Brian Harvey asks:

> Can anyone please give me the composer's name
> for "River stay 'way from my door"?

Google searches bring up the names of Harry Woods and Mort Dixon.  I believe
that Woods wrote the music and Dixon wrote the words, but I won't wager any
money on that.

> ... suspect that it might have been penned in response
> to the 1920's New Orleans great flood.

The flood was in 1927, and it affected most of the Lower Mississippi River.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
* Principal Tuba, South Valley Symphony
* Eb Bass, The Pacific Brass
* Occasional Tuba, Tommy Bro's Hecker Pass
    All-Star Dixieland Jazz Band
* Occasional Tuba, Mission Gold Jazz Band
* Available for almost any style of music