[Dixielandjazz] Take me back to N.O. lyrics

Berry Zand Scholten berryzandscholten at quicknet.nl
Tue Sep 6 12:05:33 PDT 2005

To Gerard Bielderman
Zwolle
The Netherlands.

Enkhuizen, The Netherlands, Tuesday September 6th 2005

Dear Gerard,

For me it's always a hellova job to understand what some performers are
singing. Especially musicians who are not too well trained in perfect
pronounciation, or those who sing in a kind of slang, dialect or whatever.

Listening to singers as Eva Cassidy, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Diana
Krall, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Rushing, Mark Murphy and Chet Baker......no
problem at all to me, but Dr. John, Chris Barber, Jack Teagarden ......they
cause me sometimes a lot of trouble. And I hate to copy things phonetically.

I think this is the second time that you helped me out and I want to thank
you for this. Great job; I'm much obliged. Amazing that this kind of help
comes from my won country.

What about Americans not knowing performers, musicians, bands abroad? As you
mentioned in your mail?  A few months ago a listmate asked: 'Who the heck is
Mack Rebenack? We've never heard of him? . For us, Europeans, this is very
hard to understand. It's a fact that many American bands and rockgroups
became worldfamous after European tours. It's a fact as well that the
European 'bluesboom',  in the sixties and seventies, which inspired
rockgroups like the Rolling Stones, The Beatles and many others, started in
Europe. American bluesmen, forgotten in their own country, made a comeback
in the 'old world'.

I don't want to insult anybody, but Europeans have done a lot to preserve
basic American music and rediscovered the roots, of what we call OKOM
nowadays.

Noboday in Montana, North Dakota, Maine, Oregon or New Mexico may know Chris
Barber, but a fact is that this trombone playing  'Limey' is a true
treasurer of  'New Orleans Music'. That's why Dr. John and many other
original N.O.musicians were so willing to work with him on valueable records
and CD's.

I'm not a real fan of Chris Barber, but I like to listen to his music every
now and then and I appreciate what he has done (and still is doing)  for our
scene.

In ther same way I appreciate your kind help and your contribution to my
request concerning the song: 'Take me back tot New Orleans'.

Fortunately the city of  New Orleans gets some help now. A shame that it
took so long.

Wish you all the best, Gerard, and thanks a lot again.

Berry Zand Scholten