[Dixielandjazz] Re: Request for lyrics ......

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 4 02:12:20 PDT 2005

Dear Berry,
Sorry to be late with this reply.
Regarding your comment: "Why don't we hear anything about that other
wonderful, swinging trombonist Abe Lincoln?" and "CD Universe', the big
internet-CD-store in the US has no artist under the name Abe Lincoln".
The answer is simple.
There are not records under Abe Lincoln's name.
He was always a sideman.
Fortunately, CDs featuring him are currently available.
I can help with information, if required.
Unfortunately, I can't help with the words to Chris Barber's "Take Me Back
To New Orleans".
However, if you send me an mp3, I should, perhaps, be able to transcribe the
words for you.
In the meantime here, as requested, are the lyrics to Charlie La Vere's
"Mis'ry And The Blues" taken off Jack Teagarden's recorded version made on
12-13 Nov 1954.

³Mis¹ry And The Blues² (Charlie La Vere)

Blues in the mornin'
Mis'ry in the evenin'
I'm the saddest man you ever knew
Got my share of sorrows
Same ole thing tomorrow
Since you¹ve gone the dawn is always overdue.

Blues in the mornin'
Mis'ry in the evenin'
Keeps me wonderin' then what I oughta do
Almost out of money
Yes you think it's funny
Even though you know I'm still in love with you.

Baby
When you told me goodbye
With a smile in your eye
Baby, had you laughed so that I wouldn't cry?
Now there's nothin' but
[Oh] Blues in the mornin'
Mis'ry in the evenin'
Wake up sobbin' like a child of doom.
Wish I'd never met you
Let the devil get you
Then you'll know the heartaches of a fool
Full of mis'ry and the blues.

Kind regards,
Bill.