[Dixielandjazz] Trombones - which to choose?

Mike C. mike at michaelcryer.com
Thu Oct 27 07:31:35 PDT 2005

I've bought horns from ebay before. They sell for good prices, but be
prepared to spend some money on repairs. I bought a nice little Conn 4H(
from the 1930's) trombone from this nice couple for a $100. They said
that the old owner of the house left it in the attic. They had never
opened it until they decided to get rid of it on ebay. When I opened it,
the slide was stuck and needed some resautering work on the slide braces
and the bell brace. A slide job and a complete chem clean cost me $85
and they charged another $40 for the resautering add $100 for the cost
of the horn and I got a nice playing trombone for less than $300. A
comparable vintage horn like that in decent to good condition would have
  cost me at least twice as much as I paid.

Mike