[Dixielandjazz] Programme for a new gig

Jeffmatthews111 at aol.com Jeffmatthews111 at aol.com
Sun Oct 23 02:34:04 PDT 2005

Hi All,

I am interested in the ideas people are putting forward for programs at  gigs.

We have a gig booked in at a very nice 'country' hotel. They are trying out
the idea of 'themed' music evenings and have decided to try jazz first. There
is  a dinner included in the ticket price.

Guests arrive at 7.30 and sit down to eat around 8.00 ish. Here is what I
suggested doing, BUT would appreciate any input you guys have regarding times
for playing, length of set and numbers, audience banter (or not), jokes. We are
 a six piece and will play numbers through the New Orleans repertoire to
small  band swing numbers. I have explained that we are not a 'dance band' as such
but  people can dance to our music. Do we need a waltz or two in the jazz
idiom?  Suggestions?

SUGGESTED PROGRAM:

At 7.30  we welcome guests with some 'trad' numbers. When they sit  down to
eat we have some music played in off CD for them to talk and eat to. As  they
finish their last course we start off with our second set for around 45
minutes. Short break and then a final set, finishing around 10.30 - 10.45  ish.  In
this way we are spreading out our playing over  quite a long  evening. I want
to get people up on the floor dancing  - suggestions  for tunes, invitation
banter, etc, is welcome. Basically, I want these  people who might not be jazz
lovers, but curious and hungry, to go away with a  good impression and spread
the good news that 'jazz' music can be  fun.

I would welcome any comments and helpful ideas and tips from you  experienced
guys.

Thank you.

Jeff Matthews
The Southern Sounds Jazzmen