[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Schools

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 21 16:11:45 PDT 2005

Greetings to all the cognescenti.

dazzle them with brilliance or bury them in B S

Taking the Subject A exam for entrance to one our larger institutions of learning, one of the subjects was on Jazz music. I filled a "Blue Book" to the last page with my knowledge of early jazz muso s and music, circa 1940's Needless to say I passed.

Now I realize how little I knew then and how much I respect the "Elders" of musicology, re: Jazz, now

Explain Jazz and Blues, almost synonymous,as to the expression " Which came first ?"

Jazz, OKOM, cannot be learned as a text book subject, nor can Jazz as itis known today, there must be some feelings and a certain amount of desire to project what is felt. As I hear music being played and different solos are made, I whistle  or hum a counterpoont to the solo and never do the same one twice, If I could only play that instrument. Even the melody sometimes goes astray , but not far enough to be unrecognisable.

Looking forward to the San Diego Festival

For what it's worth, just another lurker.

Slainte, Talisker would be nice

Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge

Ed Coltrin
WA6FWU