[Dixielandjazz] Chord Changes For I'm A Little Black Bird

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 20:14:59 PDT 2005

scott sproxton <fuzzscott at shaw.ca>

> Good afternoon all!

> I recently started working on a transcription of Clarence Williams Blue Five
> Version of I'm A Little Black Bird(Looking For A Blue Bird) Ca. 1924 Featuring
> Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet! I am having a tough time hearing the exact
> chord progression. If there is any one out there that could help I would
> gladly share the chart when it's complete!

Hi Scott:

Here are the changes, concert key. as transcribed from the original sheet
music. They are used by the clarinet. Haven't played the song in a while and
all those clarinet rests "R"s in the chorus may have chords for the lead
part and piano. If so, I don't know what they are.

Good luck
Steve

VERSE: 16 bars

(Ab-Ab7)- (Db-Dbm) / Ab / (Ab-Ab7)-(Db-Dbm) / Ab /

C7 / F7 / Bb7 / Eb7 /

(Ab-Ab7)-(Db-Dbm)/ Ab / Eb / Eb - Bbdim /

Bb7 / Eb-C7 / F7-Bb7 / Eb7 /

CHORUS: 32 bars

Eb7 / Eb7 / Ab - R / R

F7 / F7 / Bbmin- R / R