[Dixielandjazz] Tuning drums

McCormick, Mark McCormickM at scsd.k12.wa.us
Wed Oct 19 08:37:04 PDT 2005

The drummer in my hobby group is a young player (22) new to jazz but
eager to learn. The discussion came up a couple weeks ago when we did a
job that had professional sound that the kit really wasn't tuned
appropriately for this style of music (he's heard that from the rest of
the group before but is now ready to do something about it). I know the
drums are not tuned right but I don't know how to help him. Anyone have
any concert suggestions? Suggestions about toys and cymbals would also
be helpful. If it's important he plays a Ludwig or Tama or ?? swingstar
or something like that and....uh...some cymbals. (Hey, give me a break;
I have my back to him!)

Mark McCormick