[Dixielandjazz] Website of Displaced New Orleans Musicians

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 17 17:47:01 PDT 2005

DJML--
     Dave Richoux just posted a good article about displaced New
Orleans musicians, which reminded me that someone at the Turk Murphy
tribute-concert (possibly Bill Carter) said that Evan Christopher had
some information on a website about where such musicians are.
     There's a link to it from Jim Cullum's website at
http://www.riverwalk.org/ .  Once there, click on "What's New?" in
the upper lefthand corner.  Scroll down a way to see this:

"EVAN LENDS A HAND WITH NEW WEBSITE

Evan ChristopherFormer JCJB clarinetist and current Riverwalk Jazz
guest artist Evan Christopher (left) was based in New Orleans at the
time of the Katrina disaster. He has relocated to  Oceanside,
California.

Evan and partners have established a new website for helping
displaced New Orleans musicians find each other and potential
employers-New Orleans Music Resources. Especially useful to musicians
and their potential employers is a list containing contact
information found here.
[  -----> http://nomr.net/community.htm  <-----]
Evan sent us this email message on Sept. 29:

To my friends at the Landing and Riverwalk Jazz:

I may go back to New Orleans soon...I just want to see if there's
anything I can recover from my Uptown apartment. Five+ feet of that
putrid water in my place after the levee broke, and now, mold past
the ceiling. My horns have already been rescued by a colleague...

I have been able to stay very busy. I helped develop a new website
for the New Orleans musicians [see above], I have been active with
several Katrina benefits, and I created a school concert program,
which is why I am in Pasadena now.

Anyway, I am OK. I have my horns and my mettle. Funny, even after all
of this...I would lose everything I own ten times over before I would
trade places with someone else.

Musically yours, EVAN CHRISTOPHER"

     Dan
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**         "Success isn't permanent, and failure isn't fatal."
**                       -- Mike Ditka