[Dixielandjazz] Re: Looking for Dan Augustine

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 16 20:16:48 PDT 2005

Dave, Bob, and DJML--
     Yes, i bin found ("Looking for Mr. Goodtuba"?).  Just got out of
the Turk Murphy tribute-concert here in San Francisco and raced to my
motel room (45 paces) and checked my email and telephoned Dave, so
all's well (or as well as can reasonably be expected).
     The concert was wonderful for those who like jazz in the Turk
Murphy style.  Leon Oakley and Jim Cullum on cornets, Tom Bartlett on
trombone, Bill Carter on clarinet, John Gill on banjo, Clint Baker on
drums (hey, he plays everything but bagpipes, and i'm afraid to ask
about them), Ray Cadd on tuba, and Marty Eggers on piano.  Ray
Skjelbred played some great intermission-piano.  Had more than 400 in
attendance, and the dance-floor was never empty, and usually full of
people making unusual movement of body parts in time to the music (as
you might guess, i ain't a dancer).  A number of luminaries, like Bob
Schulz and Charles 'Duff' Campbell--aged 90--were also there.
     Leon especially was in fine form, playing some of the hottest
cornet in the country, but the whole band (the "Bay City Stompers")
played with great expertise and intensity.  It was being recorded,
and will (like last year's concert) probably show up on a CD
eventually.
     Bob, you need to alert the manager of the Lodi Beer Company to
increase production for this Wednesday, as this dry California
climate has engendered a powerful thirst in me.  On the way to your
house i'll stop off and buy a couple of hogsheads of some highclass
swill for you so i don't drink all of your beer.  You have any of
that Avocado Beer left?

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days
**      on nothing but food and water." -- W.C. Fields (1880-1946)