[Dixielandjazz] High Society

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Oct 13 16:16:29 PDT 2005

It is interesting to note that the anonymous jazz authority Wikipedia
has this to say about that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Picou

> Picou is perhaps best known for originating the clarinet part on the
> standard "High Society". Some have mistakenly stated that he wrote the
> number, which was actually a 1901 marching band composition by Porter
> Steele. Picou rearranged it giving it a gentle swing and paraphrased
> the Piccolo part to create his famous clarinet solo. This became a
> local standard part, and no younger New Orleans clarinetist was
> considered proficient until he could duplicate Picou's part. Unusually
> in a music that values improvisation it became a set piece; commonly
> later clarinetists would solo once through reproducing or sticking
> close to Picou's solo, and then do their own improvisations on a
> second solo.

I, for one, do not care if any clarinetist does or does not play the
exact replication of the famous solo - I actually have several
recordings of Picou doing slightly different versions himself! The main
thing is to make Hot Jazz and entertain the audience (not just the
"Trad Nazis" who want every song to be done exactly as the "Original
Version ®." ) (BTW, this is not a flame against those who do like bands
to only play the "Original Version ®." ;-)

I think I have more than 100 recorded versions of High Society - I have
played most of them on my show - some do and some don't "follow the
Picou rule..."

Dave Richoux