[Dixielandjazz] -- Paul Edgerton said

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 15:05:00 PDT 2005

-- Paul Edgerton said

How about years of working, often outdoors or without a PA system, and
still having to get up over the brass and drums four or five hours at a
time?

I agree, when people ask me where I get my volume from, I tell them it is projection, I have played with a New Orleans Parade band since about 1980, that makes you loud and able to project, I was given some good advice  when starting to play in jazz bands, 'play to somebody at the back of the room, project your sound don't increase your volume' like actors and opera singers have to' so I suppose I am a combination of volume and projection, as one guy I play for says, "I take no prisoners"  I can play pianissimo when I need to of course!

Sadly I have a good friend who has been playing jazz clarinet a lot longer than I have, he played with a band that was highly amplified for many years and the legacy is he now feels inadequate without a microphone.

Barrie Marshall