[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Mouthpieces

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Wed Oct 12 11:14:16 PDT 2005

Barrie Marshall wrote on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:02 PM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Mouthpieces

::snip::

"On using a 5JB. One must play with complete confidence and conviction -
like Kenny Davern, who plays every note as if it is THE RIGHT NOTE ( and
then it becomes the right note) otherwise it probably sounds awful using
such a long open facing."

::end snip::

Following some postings about mouthpieces on the DJML, I started using the
5JB mouthpiece and it is just right for me. Like Davern, I play each note as
if it is the right note and with the greatest conviction. Unlike Davern, the
notes may not always be the right notes. Ah well, I still feel that I am
controlling the mouthpiece and am more comfortable with my blend with the
band.

Interesting post and remarks. Thanks, Barrie.

Tom Duncan
www.doctordubious.com
doctordubious at verizon.net