[Dixielandjazz] Blatant Commercial

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Oct 12 10:59:29 PDT 2005

I play a lot of very high end weddings and I wouldn't call the bride and
groom "kids".  I think of kids as being in their teens.  Maybe we are
talking about the same thing.  The people that are getting married at
weddings that can afford the $2000 or so for a band like the one I play with
are not teens.  Typically they are from families that either the girl has
worked for several years and saved her money or the father is well off.  I
played one two weeks ago that cost in the neighborhood of $60k.  It's not
unusual for a bride to spend $20-25k on her wedding  Now that's a lot in
anyone's book  The vast majority of people that get married may have a
reception in the church basement and if they have music will have a flute
and guitar or something like that.

Where do those kids (24-30 yrs) hang out?  Well bars would be a start but
anyone below 21 is not allowed in bars here unless there is a separate area
where alcohol isn't served.

At one time there were literally hundreds of weddings (lots of teens and
early 20's) and most had bands but for middle income people the big wedding
went out for many years but seems to be coming back.  We have a very large
Catholic population in St. Louis and typically, they are the one's that have
the big weddings.  There have been 18 parishes closed or consolidated in St.
Louis this year.  (probably because of the priest/sex thing and lawsuits)  I
think that has had an impact too.
Larry Walton
St. Louis