[Dixielandjazz] Re:Help needed with Pete Fountain

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 10 16:22:32 PDT 2005

Dear Bob and Dick
In an attempt to find details of the Pete Fountain version of "Lazy River"
you're looking for let's go back to some basics.
According to my files, Pete Fountain only recorded "Lazy River" on 3
occasions:
1.  Nov 1950 with the Basin Street Six.
2.  Pete Fountain and His Band on 24 Feb 1959 with Pete F, cl; Stan
Wrightsman, p; Morty Cobb, sb; & Jack Sperling, d.
This was issued on a Coral LP CRL 57282 ('New Orleans') and reissued on MCA
505, an LP titled 'Pete Fountain's New Orleans'
3.  30 June 1961 with Pete F, cl;  Stan Wrightsman, p;  Bobby Gibbons, g;
Morty Cobb, sb; Jack Sperling, d. It was issued on Coral CRL 37389 ('New
Orleans Scene').
Unfortunately, I do not have details for any CD reissues other than the list
of the 22 tunes on 'The Best of Pete Fountain' CD you cite.
Track 1 of this CD, "While We Danced At The Mardi Gras", was also made at
the 24 Feb 1959 record date and could be the session mate to "Lazy River".
Is it the same quartet on "We Danced At The Mardi Gras"?
What often aids identification in cases like this (but not always with later
anthologies) are titles of other tunes from the same recording session.
I hope that this will help you get a little closer to the answer to your
query.
Kind regards,
Bill.