[Dixielandjazz] Sibellius or Finale or Encore?

Luís Henriques lhenriques at CriticalSoftware.com
Mon Oct 10 05:45:48 PDT 2005

Hi there,

some years ago (10, maybe) I used Finale and it was quite easy to use
and worked just fine for me.  However, I stopped using Windows and had
to find some alternatives for Finale in Gnu/Linux.  The best solution I
found is named Lilypond (I think you can used also on Windows).  It is a
free software alternative (GPL licence) and it can generated several
formats (I use PDF and midi outputs).

There is a problem, however: it is very hard to start using it!  Not
because it is difficult to use (it is not!) but because it is completly
different from anything else you may know.  Basically, you write some
text files with lots of keywords containing the notes, the chords, the
lyrics, etc.  Then, you "compile" it and generate an output file (for
example, a PDF with the trumpet or the clarinet part).

The link to lilypond is: http://www.lilypond.org

Warning: the learning-curve for using lilypond-like software may be
high!  It is, however, worth to try it.

Regards.

--
Luís Henriques