[Dixielandjazz] Re: Real Audio to mp3 (was: ogg to mp3)

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 7 08:07:53 PDT 2005

Conversion fans--
     Hmm, well, in my experience, .ram-files via Real Audio are simply
placeholders for streaming audio of around 4K and don't actually
store any sound on your hard-drive. So what you may want is a way to
save any streaming-audio from any source to your hard-drive.
     On my Mac, i use an application called WireTap Pro, which is $19,
and apparently made only for Mac OSX 10.2 or later.  See
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/ for details.  It's
extremely easy to use and can save files as .mp3, .aif, and others.
     On my PC, i have Total Recorder ($11.95; see
http://www.highcriteria.com/), but haven't used it, since i'm on my
Mac 99% of the time.  However, it comes highly recommended by Rebecca
Thompson.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "When one day an arctic traveler played a recorded song by one
**     of the most famous European composers to an Eskimo singer,
**     the man smiled somewhat haughtily and stated: 'Many many
**     notes, but no better music.'"
**               -- Curt Sachs _The Wellsprings of Music_