[Dixielandjazz] Re: Good Ole Boys

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Thu Oct 6 21:23:35 PDT 2005

Dear TradJazz Ted and Listers:

There are some dixieland players in Central North Carolina.  The Salty Dogs
play in Raleigh, or used to--their website was last updated in 1998, but
it's still on the Net.  Their clarinet/soprano player is Bob Nery, an
excellent musician.  Bob and I played in an earlier Raleigh band called the
Capital City Jazz Band in the 1970s.

A Google search revealed a booking organization called Dixieland Greensboro,
listing purveyors of various kinds of jazz and popular music in the greater
Greensboro Area, including Haw River.  You might also see if the American
Rag is still publishing its registry of jazz bands and jazz musicians.
There used to be some North Carolina players in it.  I would encourage a
series of Google searches with keywords like dixieland, jazz, Raleigh
(really?  no, Raleigh), Chapel Hill, Durham, and Greensboro.

In addition to Bob Havens, I believe that Frank Mesich of the Buck Creek
Jazz Band has retired someplace in North Carolina.  Good luck with your
search

I play in the Austin, TX area, a long way south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
It's not a thriving jazz scene by any means, but has been doing a little
better in the last three years.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX