[Dixielandjazz] RE: Jews and Jazz

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Oct 6 04:30:19 PDT 2005

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Several points on this current thread:

1. Why Jews and Jazz? Why anybody and jazz? Some people find it interesting
to trace the ethnic origins of various facets of music. Some are proud of
their countrymen's contributions to the field. Some are just interested.
Others aren't. To each his own.

2. I have a copy of the ODJBs 1917 recording, and Palestina is on there but
instrumental only, no vocal. So how could it have been composed in 1920?

3. There was a show making the rounds in Israel's English theater circuit a
few years ago called "Gershwin Meets Second Avenue". Written by the music
faculty at Bar Ilan University and performed by them and their students, the
show explored the connections between the Yiddish Theater of 2nd Avenue and
the more well known Gershwin hits that made it on Broadway. The score
brilliantly blended and faded from one side of town to the other, from
English to Yiddish, with both narrative and re-enacted clips from various
shows. Don't know if it's playing abroad, but those interested should catch
it if you can.

And finally...

4. Nobody mentioned me! Now if you'll pardon me, I think I'll go crawl into
my tuba and sulk for awhile. Not too long, though. The Dr Jazz Band will be
playing downtown this afternoon and tomorrow in honor of our holy day
season.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble