[Dixielandjazz] Re:gigs

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 4 12:12:42 PDT 2005

Hi Dan and Tom

I too started playing in the late 50's.  You have to understand that St.
Louis is a completely different animal than some of the entertainment towns
like Vegas, LA, New York or Chicago but in the 50's and 60's there was a lot
of work available. Here in the Midwest it didn't pay very well for the most
part.  If you were really serious about music you went somewhere else but I
had family here so I never gave the bigger world a shot.

In the 60's music was controlled here by a few bookers who were band leaders
too. For the most part in the union.  I came out of college in 1962 and
returned to St. Louis where I started working for the bookers.  Some were in
with other unions that had halls and they could put in four or five bands
during the weekends and a couple several nights of the week.  They were
pulling down some cash.  Their cut was usually one man's pay.  Not too
shabby but the clinker in the soup was that they would hire guys that had no
idea what end of the horn to blow in or would take breaks and not come back
or get drunk etc.  Some were even hostile to the crowd.  The people seemed
to tolerate the BS out of the musicians until the advent of the DJ.  Then
they bolted big time and the gigs just never have come back although more
people are hiring musicians for their parties and dances now than 15 years
ago.

I really don't like clubs much and now I just can't tolerate cigarette smoke
so no clubs for me.  Fortunately I do country clubs, private parties and
assisted living homes now and have built a business based on that.  I am in
direct competition with the people that give away entertainment or work
cheap.  I only make it because I have a better product and have been at it
for a long time.

I really blame three things for the state of professional music today.
1. New technology that allows top entertainers to come to your party through
the DJ's.  Excellent sound system availability.
2. Really bad business practices by musicians, bookers and the union.
3. So many musicians that will virtually give away their services.

Money also plays a role but not as big as you might think.  I can put a band
into a private party for less than a DJ.  DJ's are no longer cheap and can
cost $1200 here.  The range seems to be $600- $800.  I think the reason is
not really money anymore.

Few bands are really versatile.  Have you listened to most bands?  They play
the same style all night, sound the same and just sit there holding their
horns.  It gets a lot like bluegrass.  I can take BG for about 30 minutes
then I want to go.  I like variety and I try to mix it up with different
sounds and styles.  I think that this is the appeal of the DJ's, they can go
from Miller to Rap with zero effort.  If you don't think that people are
hyper in their entertainment tastes just watch people channel surf when a
commercial comes on.  They get bored really fast.

Personally I am as guilty as most about just sitting there and playing music
but I recognize the problem and try to change it.  Saturday night to the
horror of the band leader I went out into the crowd of young people and
played a screaming sax solo.  They formed a circle around me, screamed and
cheered when it was over.  Three couples actually  followed me out into the
parking lot after the gig to tell me how cool they thought that was and how
good I was.  Now how much effort did that take?  None.  The other band
members were pretty surprised too.  I had talked to him (the leader) about
two years ago about doing this but he didn't think it was a great idea so I
didn't.  I'll bet he wants me to do it again.  The gig was at a very upscale
country club wedding.

Another thing that we do at weddings is the leader takes the chart for the
couples first dance, has us autograph the parts and gives it to the couple
so they can have it played at their 50th.  They love it.

Larry Walton
St. Louis