[Dixielandjazz] DJML and gigs

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Oct 3 15:14:24 PDT 2005

Tom said : exception to that rule is of course Drummers and washboardist who
are
not considered REAL Musicians

Well now there's a concept.  I hate to say it but there are a lot of
drummers out there that just don't develop any skills and I think the
problem is getting worse.  There are a lot of one beat drummers out there.
I like swing as much as anyone else but that's all some drummers do.  It's
like a horn player that knows only one style.  There is a singer in town
that is pretty good but she sounds like a female Frank Sinatra.  She swings
everything and styles everything the same.

I know of only two drummers (there's probably more) in town that can play
Dixie and Swing and who know the difference.  Unfortunately they don't play
with me very often.

I like to hear real Latin beats as well as rock (new and old) and swing out
of a drummer.  And for heaven's sake if we are doing an arrangement at least
try to follow the chart.  There are guys that never seem to know where the
end of the tune is and play over or know when a break is coming.  Like they
weren't paying attention.  Then there's guys that never heard of phrasing on
a drum and want to turn on and off like a machine.

I respect a good drummer more than you know but there are so few around that
actually treat their instruments as instruments and actually play the drums
not just beat on them.

News for some --- all Latin's aren't Rumbas.
Larry Walton
St. Louis