[Dixielandjazz] Require transcriptions of Muggsy Spanier's 'Great 16'

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Sun Oct 2 22:03:52 PDT 2005

Does anyone know of a source for accurate transcriptions of the ensembles and solos for Muggsy Spanier's Ragtime Band recordings from 1939, which are often called the 'Great 16' or sometimes 'Big 16'? I need lines for all the frontline instrument - not just the trumpet.

I would like to get all 16 but most important are:

At The Jazz Band Ball

Eccentric

I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate

Livery Stable Blues

Riverboat Shuffle

That Da Da Strain

They say that transcribing is good for the soul but I am pitifully slow in putting dots down on paper and I hate to waste time if somebody has already done them.

I need these for study purposes and for an attempt at recreating some of the tunes with my band.

Thanks,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com