[Dixielandjazz] Bands & gigs & practicing

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Oct 2 10:57:16 PDT 2005

Larry answered my last post with a few interesting thoughts, which I will
rearrange for the purpose of my answers below:

>The hobby guys have a different attitude and really don't care what they
make.
This is a "those & us" problem which has been addressed on DJML a number of
times, but under the guise (if I recall) of "weekend warriors vs
professionals". An argument that will never, ever be happily settled.  Both
types are going to exist in the same arena, and sometimes cross paths.

>also at the end of the year the Tax man cometh.  So I have to keep books
and records.  That sounds like a business to me.
Yes, I mentioned I didn't like treating our band as a business, but
obviously there are some matters that must be taken care of properly.  We
pay an accountant to handle the tax matters of the band.  That frees us from
the business side, which none of us wish to be too involved in.

>I think you are very lucky to be in a stable group but how many of your
friends would survive >(musically) if the band suddenly disintegrated for
whatever reason?
I did mention that we are all present or past session recording musicians,
and we mix with other musicians in that capacity.  However, the band is a
set group.  We don't go out in a smaller or larger format, and I try to book
gigs around anyone's particular vacation plans, so we don't have to call in
a sub.  The drummer is the only one that needs to be subbed from time to
time, really, as he travels with Spanish singers on tours sometimes.

>You didn't say what size of a town you live in, but unless those musicians
have been circulating it might be tough.
See above answer as far as the circulating thing goes.  We have all been on
the Madrid (Spain)professional music scene for 30 to 40 yrs.  Madrid is the
center for most Spanish recorded music & film with a population of 5
million, and a very famous night life.  There are about 5 active jazz clubs
with bands playing nitely.  (Varying forms of jazz, blues, Latin, Bossa.)

>Guys tend to group together and if it works they become clannish.
Yeah, it's called "a band", and that's what the fans pay to see & hear.

>You wouldn't fire one of your buddies even if someone else came along that
was much better.
No, and that's why we also attempt to not have subs, as even if the sub is
better, the band doesn't feel the same.  Your next question will be "how do
you keep it fresh, then?".  Well, that can be difficult, but we do it with
key changes, tempo changes, a large rep...etc.

I've noticed this thread bending towards something about practicing.  I
believe you made some comment.  Practicing, as an individual, (at least for
trombone & trumpet) is a must.  Otherwise, the muscles in your lips won't
respond for the next gig.  Nor, does the slide hand flow automatically with
the ease it should if you lay off for long.  Every day, even if just for a
few minutes, is a must.  Which is what I must do now, before dinner is
served up.  The bottle of red Rioja has been brought out of the wine cellar
about an hour ago, and the steaks are about to go on the grill!   :>

There IS life other than music.

Jim