[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet question

Elazar Brandt larryb at actcom.co.il
Wed Nov 30 23:22:07 PST 2005

A question for my trumpet tooting colleagues:

I have a friend who is learning trumpet and is looking for a new American
made trumpet that will last him well into his performing life. He would like
to spend up to $300-$400. Can anyone recommend a source for such a horn,
and/or a make and model? Finding trumpets in Israel is like pulling teeth. A
new Jupiter costs $400.

I am a relatively new player, and I tend to deal in used low-end horns. I
would appreciate some pointers on what to look for in a "high quality" horn,
new or used, aside from the name. We found a used King 600 in Jerusalem for
$400, but it was pretty used, and I found a bunch of that make and model
number for less on eBay. The problem is getting them here!

Anyway, your help would be appreciated.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble