[Dixielandjazz] Cheap Bookers

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 30 13:41:17 PST 2005

They come in all shapes and sizes. Even the multi millionaires.

Used to be 15 years ago, that the local (Philadelphia) stadiums/teams paid
bands to play before and sometimes during breaks in the games.

Not so these days. I was recently approached to play for Philadelphia Eagles
(football) and Philadelphia 76ers (basketball) at some of their home games.

The offer? Free parking and a chance to watch the games.

Gee, they can can pay the athletes  multi millions, the city builds the
stadiums with tax money so that the team owners get a free ride and make
even more than the players as ticket prices increase exponentially.

The band? Well said the offeror, "Think of the honor and exposure. We don't
have money in the budget to pay you." . . . Yeah, right. :-(

Honor and exposure? As Louis Armstrong once said in answer to "What is
Jazz?"  "Jazz is what I play for a living."

Cheers,
Steve