[Dixielandjazz] Re: Cake Walkin' Babies

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Nov 29 18:42:59 PST 2005

OK, The Bessie Smith vocal does not mention Green and Brown.  However, the
Clarence Williams Blue 5 version on Okeh 73 083 A from 1925 does mention
Green and Brown.   The vocalist distinctly says 'Green and Brown' and this
fits the context.

Here they come, those Southern syncopaters,
Goin' some, look at those demonstrators.
Talk of town, Green and Brown,
Pickin' 'em up and layin' 'em down.
Why you're prancin' fools.
That's what they like to call 'em....