[Dixielandjazz] Doing the Best We Can?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 29 15:34:55 PST 2005

It is true that different sections of the country seem to live in
different worlds concerning musician pay.  The three highest paying
areas seem to be LA, Chicago and New York.  Other cities are on a
rapidly declining scale from there.  St. Louis is way down the list of
cities that pay well.  As we have discussed before is the number of New
Years Eve musicians that play once a year.  I can't believe that the
cities I named don't have hordes of those people competing with the
musicians that play all the time and who depend on music for at least a
substantial portion of their income.

When I was a Teen I played with a band that was four old guys that
proceeded to get very drunk two of which barely made it to 12 o'clock.

A musician has to be willing to sit at home on NYE or any other  night
if the pay isn't adequate.  There are a few years that I haven't played
and this might be one of them.  I sent out a contract two weeks ago that
fell through.  The guy didn't want to pay the $325 a man and got a piano
player that's a friend of his and was willing to play free.  That's hard
to beat. He has hired me three times before.  While this isn't a lot for
NY,  people balk at it here.  I just won't go out of the house unless
I'm paid fairly and that I can pay my guys well.  I suggest that
everyone do the same.

You get what you pay for in music.  There is plenty of money out there a
lot of the time musicians are afraid to ask for it.  Believe it or not
there are people out there that think you aren't any good if you ask for
too little and will go with a more expensive group.  Why do some people
buy the most expensive cars?  I can tell you right now it's not for
basic transportation.  It's the same with music.  Now don't
misunderstand you have to deliver a good product but assuming that you
do then it's all in marketing.
Larry
St. Louis

While