[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Distributions

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 29 09:16:25 PST 2005

DJML--
     I think any reasonable person would agree that dixieland-fans are
not equally distributed in every city in the United States.  The
percentage who like dixieland in New York City may be 20%, while the
percentage in Bozeman, Montana, may be 2%.
      Similarly, dixieland-musicians are not evenly distributed.
There are probably more (percentage-wise) in (say) Sacramento than in
Brownsville, Texas.
     Also, venues to play and the economic prosperities of regions of
the country are not equal.  Miami has more clubs and more money than
does Casper, Wyoming.
     Combining these parameters, it seems likely that differing
numbers of musicians, fans, money, and clubs will naturally result in
non-homogeneous demand for and availability of dixieland in various
cities throughout the country.
     Therefore, it would seem logical not only to play dixieland where
the people are, but where the fans are, where the players are, and
where the money and venues are.  While it is certainly true that one
might be able to build up those parameters in any given city, it also
seems likely that, as Yogi Berra is reputed to have said, "If people
don't want to come to the ball park, nothing's going to stop them."
     So let's not beat ourselves up about this.  Agonizing over the
lack of dixieland in one place, berating others for not being able to
increase the presence of dixieland in another place, complaining
about pay-scales in other regions--hey, let's give it a rest, huh?
Relax.  We do the best we can in the time we have and where we are.

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind
**     is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
**    the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."  --  Dave Barry