[Dixielandjazz] Playing Jazz

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 06:25:43 PST 2005

Mike Vax at Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote (polite snip)(

> Believe it or not, I think that John Coltrane had  the best
> quote ever on learning to play jazz.
> "Learn all the music theory that you possibly can, and then when you walk  up
> on stage, just forget it all and play music."
> I tell the kids all the time that it is like the Prego Spaghetti Sauce
> commercial: "it's in there!"
> If you have practiced and done lot's of listening, you have the tools to  use
> to start playing jazz.

I will never forget Thelonious Monk rehearsing a tune with Coltrane and
Hawkins. Both were having trouble with it (no chart as Monk wanted sidemen
to learn his songs by ear, though he had the chart if you really got stuck)
and asked him about the rhythm and the changes.

Monk looked at Bean and said: "Hey you invented jazz Saxophone right?" Bean
said  "um, well, yeah, I guess." Monk then said to Trane, "You are the
current reigning champion of jazz Saxophone, right?." Coltrane replied "well
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but I get along."

Monk then glared at them both and said "Well the notes are in your horn, and
the rhythm is in your head. All you have to do, is find them."

Cheers,
Steve